Saturday, January 28, 2006

A Simple RTS

I am starting development on a demo that I will attach to my resume for job applications. I have been thinking about what to create for a while and have finalized my decision on an RTS game. It will not be the next Age of Empires by any stretch but it will be a good demonstration of my capabilites.

I want to take the right approach for this so I have been writing out a design before I start programming. I have described the game play in detail as well as layed out a list of milestones that I will need to reach. There is one milestone for every feature I need to implement. This way, I know upfront where I am in development. I think I have gotten everything I need on this list.

This is going to be a very tightly schedule program as I am allocating 5 months to do it. Not only is 5 months a small amount of time for a sole developer, I am also enrolled in my 3rd year in an Honours Computer Science degree at the University of Waterloo. This means that on top of class, I also have assignments which are long. I also have midterms and finals to study for which are hard. This is going to be a true test of what I can accomplish with a very limited amount of time.

This blog will be my development diary.

No comments: