Thursday, March 16, 2006

With a bit more time lately, I've accomplished some more features in the game. I have some what decent group movement. I only support the Line formation which currently is a static width of 5 but I will replace this with a 'Formation' class that will support dynamic formations. The ability is there, I just haven't had time to actually finish it. As it stands now, this drastically reduced the overlap of units. Two units in seperate groups however can still stand on top of each other and for right now, this is a fine feature that I don't mind since once they move again, they won't overlap, even if they end up in the same group.

The other feature, which is sort of shown in the screenshot, is units finding targets. Each unit now searchs for a unit that is within his sight radius and then engages the enemy. Currently, units fire white cubes at each other and have no hitpoints but the target acquiring is there. You still fire when you are moving but this is easily fixable with an enumerated state which is checked. If you move away from the unit, you will stop firing if they go out of your 'sight radius'. This looks really neat in motion as it is one of those 'visible' features of the game that make it more of a game. I am going to leave off changing the cube until we get a real unit in there from Reds. He's hard at work on the lizard man model which has come a very long way. I have seen a few screenshots lately and they are impressive. It'll be a huge day when we can finally switch over from the robot to one of those. He's on vacation now, being a bum, so I don't think there will be any progress towards that goal for a while.

I'm going to tidy this up a bit and then get back to work on the formation code. I want to have a few different formations ready to go which will be selectable through the GUI whenever I get to that stage. Either way, this is a big step towards the end goal and I am very excited about it.

Screenshot: 1280x768x32 - No AA - Default ATI Settings

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When can I start blowing up your base?

My army will CRUSH you.

Uh, yeah, keep up the good work Spankster.

(You know who this is... Okay, if you don't... It's your BW buddy.)