Wednesday, February 21, 2007

David Copperfield Styles

I suck at art. I suck at all things that require artistic ability. With that said, I created a magician unit. It's just a test unit for now but I am going to use him to develop the spell system. The first spell I've worked on is the magic missile spell. It sucks. It needs improvement but the logic of it works.

I think it is about time that I start to abstract the AI state machine into script files. It should be really easy to allow which AI states are supported by each unit type as well as the priority of them. I'll add per-state customizations to the script file eventually so you can change timer rates and other such things. For now, you should be able to create an entire machine in the script file that will support a hierarchy and priorities for states at the same level. All the states will be defined in code but they are easy to create. Hopefully this will allow rapid development of units when we get some art for the different units.

There are some other improvements in the UI like a population bar at the top. The map parser has had some improvements as well in that an entire map can be defined in script except for resource providers. I'll add those soon.

Yes, I know the minimap isn't visible. I am trying something with it right now.


No comments: