Monday, March 12, 2007

Editor Advances

I've been a little busy with my home life lately but I have managed to squeak in some time to work on the editor. So far, I'm very pleased with where it's going. The plugin system is very easy to create thanks to .NET. I'm trying to keep things as exposed in as generic of a way as I can. There are easy to use hooks on object selection as well as populating the scene graph which will allow for game specific plugins to add their own types as the graph is being built. I am designing everything with extensions in mind so that games can plug in various dll's and enhance the editor beyond it's base without having to touch the editors code. Any plugin can be loaded or unloaded without bring the rest of the system down. Don't want a feature? Simply delete the dll and it won't get loaded anymore. There is an options page in the editor to specify which plugins to load on startup.

I'm going to work on some property wrappers around scene nodes as well as introducing an axis widget that will be placed in the editor to allow for things to be dragged around hopefully.

I've also got a nice docking suite going on. Plugins can register a "ToolWindow" with the editor and it will dock it somewhere. The suite provides saving/loading functionality so the positions will be saved across sessions which is very awesome.





No comments: