Friday, December 14, 2007

Break Up

I'm sorry to be reporting this but the team of Doug and myself has broken up. We're still talking and will hopefully continue to collaborate on things but as a dedicated team, it fell apart. I am the one to take all the blame here. I simply didn't keep up on things and let emails slip and responses be delayed longer than I should have. Things just ended up drifting apart to the point where I think it was obvious to both of us that it wasn't really working anymore. We're still chatting over email though so hopefully we'll still be able to exchange ideas. There isn't really much more to say on the issue. I feel bad about it so hopefully I can use it as a learning experience about the dedication I need in order to bring other people onto a project.

In other news, the editor is still being worked on. I'm going to keep going with the project itself so nothing has changed in that respect. A lot of the focus has shifted away from the game as I haven't worked on that in ages. I am trying to develop an awesome editor which I can give back to the community and hopefully see a lot of useful stuff come out of it. I'll be using that to design as much of the game as I can. I want almost everything to be defined in the editor so that I can avoid changing code when I don't need to. It'll also allow for rapid development of new units and levels once that stage has arrived.

I am however in a major overhaul of the editor. I am switching away from .NET with Managed C++ and moving into using wxWidgets and C++. I hit a few barriers in .NET that aren't documented at all and nobody really knows how to do them. I also found myself writing a lot of wrapper code around Ogre objects to pass things around inside of the managed environment. With the move to C++, I can use a lot of the features of Ogre as well as the awesome 'Any' class which can wrap anything up to be passed around. I also go back to straight C++ which is what I'm most comfortable with as well as what Ogre is written in. This will have the advantage that when people write plugins or modify the editor, it will be in the language that is used with Ogre.

I am making good progress so far. I've been leaving a bit of code commented out here and there, marked with a 'todo' for later, since features aren't finished but the base editor package is about 95% done. In terms of progress, here is my list:

Base Editor: 95%

Plugins
--------
Basic Align Tools: 0%
Basic Gizmos: 0%
Basic Object Editors: 0%
Basic Object Factories: 100%
Properties Window: 0%
Resource Browser: 100%
Sample Exporter: 0%
Scene Graph Window: 0%

No comments: