Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Saving the world, one scene at a time

The conversion of the XmlSceneExporter is now complete. I can now save/load anything that's creatable inside the editor so far. It actually only took me about 2 hours to port it over, write any missing functionality, and test it. I had to change some internal workings in my SceneObject class as well as introduce a new class called a TypeDescriptor since I no longer had the power of .NET's Reflection. The TypeDescriptors are pluggable and they basically provide features for a particular type. For instance, they will provide a convert[To/From]String method so that data can be written to disk and reloaded again. I will be providing basic ones for all of the various things I'll need to save inside of Ogre but they can be plugged in through a plugin which means that people can add new types that are serializable with any existing exporter that uses TypeDescriptors (which will most likely be all of them).

I also revamped the blog style a bit. I will be searching for a better template eventually but for now, I just wanted something different. Anyways. I have a final exam to write in half an hour so I should possibly do something towards that :)

2 comments:

Andrew H said...

I noticed that you've been posting a ton of new blogs lately so I thought for sure you would have been done exams. You must have something non-cs left then ;)

Andrew

Spanky said...

Hehe. I had a CS exam today (the one mentioned) and I have an Ancient Greek exam tomorrow morning. I always end up getting distracted during exam time.

Hamilton Andrew or St Catharines Andrew? I'm assuming St Catharines in which case, how goes it? :) Hope everything is well there. Drop me an email sometime.

s.carroll.home [ AT ] gmail [ DOT ] com